Please note that this is an eBook in EPUB format. Most dedicated e-book readers support the EPUB format, although the Amazon Kindle line of devices is a notable exception. EPUB reading software is also available for all modern smartphones. View the list of devices that support EPUB on Wikipedia.
Author: Kevin DeYoung
A (Mercifully) Short Book About a (Really) Big Problem
"I'M TOO BUSY!" We've all heard it. We've all said it. All too often, busyness gets the best of us. Just one look at our jam-packed schedules tells us how hard it can be to strike a well-reasoned balance between doing nothing and doing it all.
That's why author and pastor Kevin DeYoung addresses the busyness problem head on in his book, Crazy Busy -- and not with the typical arsenal of time management tips, but rather with the biblical tools we need to get to the source of the issue and pull the problem out by the roots. Highly practical and super short, Crazy Busy will help you put an end to "busyness as usual."
Table of Contents
1. Hello, My Name is Busy
2. Here, There, and Gone: Three Dangers to Avoid
3. The Killer P's--Diagnosis #1: You Are Beset with Many Manifestations of Pride
4. The Terror of Total Obligation--Diagnosis #2: You Are Trying to Do What God Does Not Expect You to Do
5. Mission Creep--Diagnosis #3: You Can't Serve Others without Setting Priorities
6. A Cruel Kindergarchy--Diagnosis #4: You Need to Stop Freaking Out about Your Kids
7. Deep Calls to Deep--Diagnosis #5: You Are Letting the Screen Strangle Your Soul
8. Rhythm and Blues--Diagnosis #6: You'd Better Rest Yourself before You Wreck Yourself
9. Embracing the Burdens of Busyness--Diagnosis #7: You Suffer More because You Don't Expect to Suffer at All
10. The One Thing You Must Do
About the author:
Kevin DeYoung (MDiv, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary) is senior pastor at University Reformed Church in East Lansing, Michigan. He blogs at the Gospel Coalition and has authored or coauthored numerous well-known books such as Just Do Something and The Hole in Our Holiness, as well as the award-winning books Why We’re Not Emergent and Why We Love the Church (with Ted Kluck).
"Everything Kevin DeYoung writes is biblical, timely, and helpful for both life and ministry. You can't afford to miss what he says here in Crazy Busy. He rightly reminds us to beware of the barrenness of a busy life, since activity and productivity are not the same thing." ~Rick Warren, #1 New York Times best-selling author, The Purpose Driven Life; Pastor, Saddleback Church
"DeYoung is a smart guy, and he offers a refreshing (and refreshingly short) take on the plague of modern American life: the too-long to-do list and the overscheduled calendar that produce the frazzled response 'busy' to the innocent question "How are you?' DeYoung doesn't offer time management but rather theology. God wants you to use your talents, but God is not nearly as big on the idolatry of self-importance that often motivates overcommitment. Some of this could well have been said in a sermon, which would have been even shorter. But DeYoung is clever ('If Jesus were alive today, he'd get more emails than any of us.'), his analysis is well-organized, and he brings theological thinking without moralizing. If you are someone who checks your email before going to bed and as soon as you wake up, DeYoung has your number, and this is your book." (September 30, 2013) ~Publisher's Weekly